Monday 27 August 2012

STEREOTYPE INCORPORATED

Have you ever encountered a situation where you are being labelled as such and such by your friends , the whole neighbourhood only because you are different from them ? The kind of difference that I am talking about is your skin colour , race , creed , belief , place of origins , etcera.. ? If you had been through this sticky situation , then I would like to welcome you to STEREOTYPE INC, a company which had been founded by me .

Now , I might surprise or provoke big bussinessmen if I say that if all of the companies including Apple , Microsoft , and so on were combined into a gargantuan consortium , their effort will come to waste . Why ? Because my company is more powerful , more stable and employed 7 billions people on this planet . Some might asked , " Is it true ? " Nah , I am just joking . I do not own any companies . I had just created the term stated above as an analogy to describe how stereotype had been a nasty cancer in among human race . By the way , if you search it on Forbes 500 , you can only find nothing . You have been fooled , HAHA !

By the way , stereotype is a common problem in this multicultural , multireligious country like Malaysia . Everyone of us are so prejudice of each other that we had blinded ourselves of the beauty in diversity and differences in among us , Malaysians . We are often ignorant of the fact that a people 's act does not represent the whole community .

Let me give you an example . Let say I saw a Malay couple kissing in the park . Does it sounds right if I say that all Malay couples like to display public affection ? Of course no . It is only the couple 's act , not the Malay act . They deserve the punishment , not the race . The second example , if I see a Chinese girl wearing an extra tight miniskirt and tight sleeveless shirt, looking  like a whore , sitting next to me in a bus . Is it fair for the Chinese if I say that all Chinese girl are sluts ?Of course no . Not all Chinese girls are like that .

I can talk about many other cases involving stereotypes which I had previously experienced . Now for the second part of this drama . I want to expose something even more heartbreaking , and you might want to punch my face . Be prepared for the truth . The truth is STEREOTYPE INC did exist . It had firmly consolidated in our minds and souls that only death can do us part from that impression .

When I was small , I had frequently heard that if I act naughty , some Indian guys will come and catch me . I grew up with that statement and I had to say that it was a complete myth as I mixed with them . I think they are just like me and I always think that if a guy wants to kidnap you , the guy does not have to be Indian . He can be anyone .I also heard that many Indians are drunkers . Well , this statement is not true either . I have seen many Indians who had not touch any liquors and beers even when being offered by friends and colleagues .

The second case , some people said that all Chinese are rich , greedy and liars . They also said that all Chinese can do business and are excellent in Maths . Now , let me correct the above statement . Not all Chinese are rich . Many of them are just like us , average income earners . As for the greedy part , I know of many Chinese businessmen who donated their properties to charities and like to share their fortune with the people . I also know of many Chinese who are honest and does not take anything that is not theirs . As for the Maths and bussiness part , I always believe that anyone can be a Maths prodigy if you worked hard by revision and full class attention . Let me remind you , not all Chinese do bussiness . Many of them are civil and private servants and they had no interest or skills in doing the business transactions .

As for the Malays , they said that Malays are lazy and like to depend on the Government on almost anything . Let me correct this , I personally know a lot of hardworking , workaholic Malays and they can afford to sent their childrens to colleges , buy expensive houses and cars without any special discount or assistance from the Government . Some parties said that Malay students are unable to converse well in English and are not doing well in Science and Maths . Well , this is not true . There are many Malay students who can spoke English fluently , which can be compared to foreign Western expatriates who lives in Malaysia . These students are also smart and they are able to score well in Physics , Maths and so on .

As for the non - Malay bumiputeras living in Peninsular Malaysia , Sabah and Sarawak , some people thinked that these people are still living in the forest , animisme believers and are illiterate . If you had  a friend who had this type of stigma , I suggest you smack him in the head and take him for a tour . Let him witness the truth . Orang Asli , Dayak , Kadazandusun , Murut and so on are now enjoying a high standard of living and many of them are successful professionals and businessmens . Many of them are devout Christians and they can write , read and speak better English and Malay than us . By the way , they do not live in the jungle . Many of them had moved out and lived in cities . Some of them also builded huge , rambling house for their families in the kampung .

As for me , many Malaysians thought that all Siamese came from Thailand . This is also a huge lie . For your information , there are around 70,000 Siamese people in Malaysia and many of them are concentrated in Kedah , Perlis , Kelantan and Hulu Perak . There is also a sizeable minority of Siamese community in Penang . Like all Malaysians , we are granted full citizenship and are considered as bumiputeras under the Federal Constituition . Now , I think I had made the point .

In coclusion , do not judge a book by its covers . Just remeber that we shall not treat other people the way we do not want to be treated . Eliminate all the prejudice and stigmas , and I am sure that STEREOTYPE INC will be out of business . 

SATU HATI SATU JIWA SATU BANGSA
SATU MALAYSIA
PEACE NO WAR


No comments:

Post a Comment

WARNING TO ALL READERS :

THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY COMMENT PUBLISHED BY ANY MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS WHO ARE VISITING THIS SITE . THE AUTHOR WILL ONLY BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ARTICLES THAT WERE PUBLISHED ON THIS SITE . THANK YOU FOR READING THIS